I can’t begin to stress how learning languages opened my life to new opportunities, coming from the countryside of Brazil
There are several ways to learn a language for free online: Skype meetups, virtual worlds, video chats, chatrooms (I used to go to my sister’s house to get on ICQ chatrooms to practice English on her computer), applications, open curricula, and so forth… many of these discussed previously on this blog.
Duolingo is especially interesting because:
- It helps translate the Web (in partnership with Google)
- It contains gamification elements (rewards and levels are linked to how well you perform in the application)
- The curricula are instructionally sound and well-designed
- It is offered on the Web, for iOS, and for Android platforms
- It is FREE for life (especially in light of major online language learning services like LiveMocha now charging for their services)
Duolingo currently (June 2013) offers courses in:
Look for Duolingo on your app store and download it for free.
Pick a language and start learning!