I came across a short presentation by Grace Poli from Union City High School on Slideshare.net. The presentaion focuses on practical ways for using the iPod Touch in class, but of courses the uses of all of Apple’s mobile devices are interchangeable most of the time since they have similar technical specifications.
Here are some highlights and resources from the presentation.
Resources and Ideas
- Apple Learning Interchange – http://ali.apple.com
- Learning in Hand – http://learninginhand.com
- iPods in Education Webcast – http://macenterprise.org
- iPods in Education: The Potential for Language Acquisition – http://e2t2.binghamton.edu/pdfs/ iPod_Lang_Acquisition_whitepaper.pdf
Unexpected Uses of the iPods
1. Train Doctors to Save Lives – American College of Cardiology indicates iPods are used to listen to recorded heart sounds to teach medical students how to better recognize different conditions 2. Bring Criminals to Justice – United States federal district court has started using iPods to hold copies of wiretap transmissions in a large drug-conspiracy case 3. Get Yourself Into Serious Shape – TrailRunner is a free program that helps you plan your route and then loads your iPods with maps, distances, and time goals
4. Tour Around Great Cities – iSubwayMaps lets you download subway maps from 24 major cities across the globe. They range from New York City, Paris, and Berlin to Moscow, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Audio tours of New York and Paris downloard Soundwalk narrated by a celebrity for $12.
5. Calculate the Right Tip – TipKalc helps you ﬁgure out the tip and grand total
6. Record Flight data – LoPresti Speed announced plans to use iPods as ﬂight data recorders in light aircrafts (will have the ability to record over 500 hours of ﬂight time data)
7. Throw a Meaner Curveball – Pitcher for the Houston Astros, started using video iPod to review pitching frame by frame to improved overall techniques 8. Learn Foreign Language – University students are using iPods to record lectures, take notes, and even create electronic ﬂash cards 9. Memory Stick – save your Microsoft ofﬁce ﬁles 10. Wikipedia – download one of the largest encyclopedias on your iPod (FREE)
More ideas from other practitioners can be found in the Apple Interchange Learning Community which I highlighted in a previous post.